Saturday, July 29, 2006

a thought

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days and been meaning to share it (assuming, of course, that it's worth sharing). In English, adjectives come before nouns and in Spanish it's the other way around. Seems to me that this lends English a note of surprise or tension that can't exist in Spanish because you can say, "I saw an enormous black dog" and until you give a noun the dog could be any number of things. But in Spanish you give it up right away, "VĂ­ a un perro enorme y negro." There's no tension in that sentence. The English way is so much more fun. I'm not really sure why I think that's so interesting and it sounds a lot deeper in my head than I am apparently capable of making it sound in writing, but there you have it.

1 comment:

Larry said...

I love that insight, even though I don't speak Spanish. I wonder whether, as you become more fluent, you'll discover other ways that the language has to create the tension you describe.

Mom, Jack, Julie, and her friend Michaela left this a.m. for MV. They called from I95 to ask us to look online for info abt the traffic jam they were stuck in. I was able to learn that there was an accident in the right lane ahead of them, etc. This was comforting news to Mom. They drop Michaela off in NYC, then on to Woods Hole and a 10:30 p.m. ferry.

Great to talk w/you. We're going to get into the Skype research soon.

Love, Dad