Tuesday, July 18, 2006

in miami

Verdict: This city fucking blows. Of course, that's based on just a couple of hours here, but so far it's all been dirty, shadeless and humid. The bus that I thought was going to take me downtown instead dropped me off in the middle of the biggest cheap jewelry neighborhood I have ever seen. Literally blocks in every direction of nothing but joyeria after joyeria. Apparently, this is downtown. All I wanted was a cafe and a place to buy some headphones. Too much to ask, apparently. The bright spot was the American Express office I happened on accidentally, where I bought some travellers' checks from a very nice Venezuelan lady whose name I forget, but who nevertheless got me my checks, and then, of her own volition, the information for all the AmEx offices in Santiago and a glass of water. The water was fantastic, because it's beastly here and I'm sweating like a pig schlepping my duffel and backpacks around. Writing this from a crappy little I don't even know what, when I finish I'm going back to the bus and back to the airport. It might be boring as hell, but at least it's air conditioned and has cushioned seats. And maybe even a store where I can get a decent pair of headphones. Stupid to leave those at home. Ugh. Can't wait to check in for my flight tonight, I think it'll be a relief. I'll write more about more interesting things (like feelings) later on or maybe tomorrow. Right now, I'm out.

No comments: