Monday, July 24, 2006

Santiago Centro

Had lunch today with my RC prof Cristhian in a good vegetarian restaurant in central Santiago. I wouldn't go there a lot cause it was kind of pricey (although cheap by US standards), but it was tasty and packed full of interesting looking people. It was nice to see him and least get to speak Spanglish. We started all in Spanish and then it degenerated into a kind of awkward mix that might be called Spanglish, or maybe not. Whatever. Anyhow, the old part of Santiago is nice, there are some pretty old buildings and the cathedral is very interesting, I'm going to have to go back there on a sunny day when I have lots of time. Then I finally got a plug adapter and some batteries so I can use this baby whenever I want and also set my alarm clock (important because tomorrow I've got an earrrrrly wakeup). Mabel (who was my RCLANG 294 grammar teacher) is coming tomorrow and I might meet up with her and Cristhian later in the week. Vamos a ver. Talked to Cristhian a little about the idyll that Katy found as a possible travel destination next summer (Ilha Grande, off Rio), and he told me that a former RC student owns a B&B type place there. Unreal.

Last night I went to the place where Kellyanne is living, and I was immediately glad that I got started with a program. She's had to speak more Spanish because no one else around her is American, but she's been lonely and has had to cook for herself in this weird group house of international students. She's definitely having more of an adventure than I am, but that's okay, I'm uncomfortable enough here so far without having to do everything for myself. Call me a wuss if you want, but my Spanish isn't good enough to get by without help. So fuck you, YOU try it. What, me defensive? How dare you say something like that. I'll have you know I am NEVER defensive. Ever.

Anyhow, not sure what the plans are for the rest of the day. Onces will be in an hour or so and then dinner much later, but after dinner, who knows? I'd kind of like to chill with people from the program but we have to get up damn early and the cabs really aren't that cheap here (they're the only way to get around late at night). Last night a 15 or 20-minute ride cost me like 5 bucks, maybe a little more. The driver also ripped me off a little by taking a roundabout route, but I wasn't TOTALLY sure where I was and I was too tired to protest anyway. He probably needs the extra 80 cents or a dollar more than I do in any case. It also sucks that I'm the only kid I know in my neighborhood because I can't share like all the kids who live in Providencia and Ñuñoa. I haven't had a chance to take my camera around yet and get some more photos, but I'll be taking my bag around this week because I have to carry papers and things, so I'll post pics soon. Also for all you facebook sluts, I'll have some up there as soon as I get an album's worth of photos worth posting. Chao chao.

3 comments:

Larry said...

So what's the commute like at rush hour? What's the U like? Is there a "campus," or are the bldgs just here and there in a certain area? How DOES one register for classes in a strange city, culture, language? If no campus per se, where do the students go when they're not in class?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mister Suss said...

touche, dad. more detail will be used in the future. but now, bed, cause i gotta wake up crucially early to register my visa with the fuzz.

kellyanne said...

wuss.
p.s. i found your blog. it is really funny to read it and see how totally different things are between our experiences and how our reactions to some things are also exactly the same. like the mountains. anyway, now some really cool mexican boys are living with me and things are coming together (except that so far I've been the only one to show up to any of my classes). Espero que nos vemos.