Tuesday, July 18, 2006

M.I.A.

So now I'm back in Miami International Airport. The air is better than outside, though that's not saying much, and at least my shoulder and forearm aren't on fire from lugging my duffel bag. Having a layover this long was a mistake. I can't even check my bags for another hour. But it's all right, I'm all in one piece, got some headphones, gonna start looking for some sustenance in a bit. I think I should qualify my earlier post. Miami does not fucking blow. My experience of it was extremely unfortunate, due to my lack of knowledge of the city and also 60 pounds or so of luggage that I had to carry because of course Osama bin Laden has rendered airport lockers a thing of the past. Bastard. Also, the part I saw of it was, in fact, pretty shabby. Unless you're in the market for some wholesale gold. In which case, it's shabby but useful.

It was hard to say bye to Mom, Dad and Linc today (and the dogs, obviously). It's funny, though, I can't really tell how hard it was. I thought it had hit me how long I'm going to be gone, but now I'm not sure. It might be that I actually believe that 12 months isn't really THAT long, and it could be that I still have no idea what's going on and in two days I'm going to have a breakdown. As I am very fond of saying, only one way to find out, and that's to not die.

I think I might try ending all my posts with a song lyric that's on my mind. No clear connection the post necessary. Here's a bit from "What's Up Fatlip?" by Fatlip, which I was listening to a minute ago and which, despite its obvious lack of greatness, is my favorite rap song, period.

Over the years seems like I'm gettin dumber
Remeniscin to a time when I was younger with a hunger
Full of dreams, determination, self-esteem
But now it seems they hesitate to be on my team
You know the routine, when you winnin they grinnin
All up in your face like they was wit you from the beginnin
But on the flip side, when you washed up like a rip tide
Fools clown bout how you slipped and let shit slide

No comments: