Wednesday, October 04, 2006

machuca and dream

Last night I watched a really interesting movie called "Machuca," about a couple of boys at Chile's most elite prep school during the coup in 1973. One is very rich and the other very poor, part of the principal/priest's initiative to bring quality education to everyone. It's a really interesting look at the stratification of Chilean society at that time and it's also a moving portrait of a young kid growing up without wanting to or really knowing why.

Also, I had a very vivid dream, of which I remember the last part, and I want to write it down somewhere, so here goes: I was on the metro in DC with a friend who was blond, and we got off at Tobalaba, which is where I transfer to my line here in Santiago but in the dream was an awful lot like Takoma. The friend was trying to get home but didn't know what bus to take from the station, so we asked Riley, from the Boondocks, who was standing outside of the station looking for his bus. But my friend didn't know what his neighborhood was called, he kept saying names that sounded vaguely like neighborhoods in Santiago and I kept saying names of real neighborhoods (¿Sótero del Rio?) and Riley said, "Man, if you don't even know where you live, how am I supposed to to help you out?" So I was like, well, whatever, you can just come back to my house. So we walked past all the buses, which were American school buses but with big cardboard Chilean protest signs dangling off of them, along Takoma Avenue and ended up walking up onto my front porch. There was a package for me wrapped in tinfoil with a note, and suddenly I knew it was my birthday, but I hadn't told everyone. I picked up the package and we went inside, and Izzie ran out to meet us and the friend sat down on the stairs and she started jumping on him. I said, "It's my birthday" and the friend didn't say anything, so I unwrapped my package, which contained a loaf of pumpkin bread. That's all I remember. Sorry to be boring, now it's time to get dressed, grab a bite and hustle on down to my second Relaciones entre Europa blah blah blah test of the week. Wish me luck!

No comments: