Wednesday, June 06, 2012

no tajikistan, no badakhshan

The Afghanistan portion of my trip was briefly thrown into turmoil this week, as it turns out Noor is going to Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and then Khorog, Tajikistan and Ishkashim, Afghanistan for cross-border meetings. He suggested that I come along for all or part. That sounded fantastic and I was getting all geared-up to cram my non-FOCUS meetings into two days at the end of next week. But then he checked the dates and it turns out the Khorog/Badakhshan part wouldn't start until the day before I leave. So much for that. One of those episodes where I wouldn't have anything to be disappointed about if the possibility had never arisen. But once it did...well, silly to get my hopes up, it was obviously a long shot from a logistical standpoint alone.

Next time, I'd definitely like to leave more time for a such a trip. Well, next time I'm over here I might spend mostly in Tajikistan. Crossing into Badakhshan would be almost mandatory in that case.

Anyway, things are swimming along otherwise. Today was mostly work-focused so not much interesting to report. Caryn and I did break out of the hotel this afternoon to go to Pak Turk for some shopping, which was nice. She bought a chest of drawers! Bit more complicated to get home than even a rug.

My benadryl headache continues (it's 7:30 PM) but I'm going to go to the gym in a bit and see what I can get done. Then maybe hit up Caryn for one of her Harry Potter DVD's.

Tomorrow morning, chat with M&D!

No comments: