Sunday, June 17, 2012

lol heathrow

If there is an all-knowing, all-doing god, s/he really does not want me to get home. The kicker came while we were over Europe this morning: a lady on the plane had a medical emergency. Don't know what but I overheard something about tachycardia and they set up an IV drip for her even before we got diverted to London so that she could be taken to a hospital. Because it's a long flight to begin with, regulations about maximum consecutive hours worked by a crew forced everyone off the plane. They rebooked it for 9 AM London time...Monday. So as soon as they let us off the plane I hauled ass to baggage claim and through immigration and got in the "fuck no, you're not taking my ass to some hotel, I'm trying to get home" line. As an aside, I was amazed in the end by how few people picked that route: well fewer than 100 out of our ~300 person flight. At any rate, I'm on the next United flight out, at noon. So instead of arriving home at 6:20 AM on Saturday, I'll be home at 3:20 PM on Sunday. Unless, you know, something else happens.

UPDATE: Also, United gave me 10k free miles or a $250 credit on my next booking with them. I took the latter, thinking to use it on something that I'll earn miles for anyway. I'm closing in on Premier status but those miles wouldn't have helped -- only actual flight miles do. I wonder if I'll be credited for the full DXB-IAD amount and the LHR-IAD amount. First world problems. And United's customer service has been pretty excellent from Friday on. So I have to hand it to them. Still, it'd be nice to be home already.

No comments: