Wednesday, March 14, 2007

mid-week

So classes have been really frustrating so far, which isn't exactly fun. I went to Armed Conflict yesterday, which I think I'll really like (the professor, Andreas Feldmann, is REALLY smart and interesting--Sarah, he taught at U Chicago--and the content is great) but put me in a really bad mood yesterday. I got into the lecture, raised my hand, tried to contribute and was first laughed at for offering Silver Spring as a place with gangs, just because no one has heard of it except the girl in the front row who went to Einstein. You dumbass motherfuckers, just because you haven't heard of a place doesn't mean it doesn't legitimately have gangs. Assholes. And then got incredibly frustrated when the professor asked why organized crime violence doesn't count as "armed conflict" under the definition he gave, called on me, totally misinterpreted my response and did not provide me much of an opportunity to rephrase or defend myself, called on someone else, who gave the EXACT response I'd just given but better phrased and was praised by the professor. Ugh. I had smoke coming out of my ears even 30 minutes later when I walked into the COPA office and scared Vale and Andrew by giving the rant I just gave you, but in Spanish, at high volume, with gestures. Also, I'm not bitter. Well, okay, maybe a twinge, but more than anything I'm just happy to have found a class that provokes me like that, I think it'll be really challenging. Hurray.

So now I'm in the COPA office, about to meet with Isa about my schedule so I can figure out what the hell I'm going to do now with all the reschedulings and classes that I thought would be easy but are really hard and blahzee blahzee blah. Also, I've gotten so used to typing on Spanish-language keyboards that now, to type an apostrophe, I type "-". I-d like to say I-ve got more to write, but I don-t. Actually I probably do, but it's meeting time. Peace.

No comments: