Friday, March 23, 2007

dream about jack

I just woke up and I'm still groggy, so I'm not sure how coherent this is going to be, but I just had a wonderful dream about Jack that I remember a whole lot of, so I'm going to write it down.

He has been sent to this school run by a real jerk, I'm not sure why there of all places. It wasn't very much like Alldrege, I don't think; for one thing, it was in a big beautiful building. He wasn't allowed to leave and we weren't allowed to see him. But somehow we got the idea that what he really needed was a white towel, which in dream land was a very hard thing to find, or maybe it was a very special white towel. So Mom and Dad sent me off on a quest to find the white towel and take it to Jack, whatever it took. I searched and searched all through the beautiful countryside (which was a lot like WV) and finally found one in this shack at the bottom of a long dirt road. I'm not sure how I got there, but I know that by the time I did, time was short. So I cast around for a ride to the school where they'd taken him, finally lighting upon a dirty, beat-up old black Jeep that somehow was tied to Lincoln, but I can't remember how. The Jeep was broken down, so the guy who owned it told me that I could keep it if I could get it up the hill. This seems like a good time to mention that we were at the bottom of a very long, extremely steep dirt road, that it had just rained and that the road was covered in shards of glass. I didn't have a choice, so I climbed in, got the engine going (the guy was already flabbergasted at this point) and started driving. The ride up the hill was really exhilarating, I just kept climbing and climbing and working the car to its absolute limit. I hit a false summit at one point, even, but when I finally got to the top I was elated and knew that I would get there on time.

I got to the school and looked for the best way to get in. I'm not quite sure how I managed to do it, but it was extremely stealthy and Mission Impossbile-like. I found myself in a kitchen-like room that opened onto an area with couches and a big TV. It was empty. There was a small TV in front of me, showing the news or something, I wish I could remember what because it was important. I had the white towel over my shoulder and I just remembered that I was completely naked the whole dream. I was all ready to sneak around and find Jack when I heard the voice of the evil director of the school, so I cast around for a hiding place, which was hard considering how open the room was, but I found a wooden panel (I think it might have been one of many) hanging down from the wall and connected to the cantilevered counter in the kitchen. There was a pole behind it, so I sat on the pole and hooked my legs under the counter and leaned as close to the wall as possible. If he came around to the other side, or saw my shadow move, or anything like that, I was toast. He was talking to someone, I think himself, commenting on whatever it was we were watching. This went on for a long time, with me getting uncomfortable and trying to adjust as quietly and slowly as possible and then settling in again, willing him to get called into the hallway or somewhere. A bunch of kids came in and sat down on the couches and all started talking. I eventually fell asleep on my perch and was having this dream, inside my dream, while I slept. I just remembered that, how incredible. I awoke to the feeling of someone breathing on my knee; I looked up and there was the director. He said, "You're going straight to jail, damn it." I said, semi-confidently, "Nah, I'll be in and out," and we started walking towards the door of the kitchen. But right as we were about to go out Jack walked in and looked at us in a very confused way. He was blocking to door, so we had to stop, and I handed him the towel. He smiled and said, "Aw, Luke, you didn't need to do that." This caused me momentary anguish, but I realized he was bluffing because he couldn't say, "Thanks." Then somehow what I was looking at was a slideshow of the City at Peace show that he'd just been in, picture after picture full of energy and color, but the one that stands out most now was a picture, from down below looking up, of kids huddled around in their CaP shirts, beaming as Lincoln, in a red baseball cap, gives them a pep talk. I don't remember too anything after that.

No comments: