Monday, January 08, 2007

tim left

Last night was Tim Wilkins' last night, so we (me, Vale, Gaby, Tim and his friend from Emory named Sarah) went to Thelonious and saw an okay act and then went to CRAZY BAR, which has reopened months after it closed. I guess it must just have gone under for a while, because they sure hadn't spent the time doing renovations or coming up with a new business model. Same old kind of crappy place, reeeeally slow service and a guy playing covers on the guitar. It was just as close to empty as always, but still, it has the best name of any bar I've ever seen (wouldn't be funny in the States, though) and we came here so much at the beginning that it had a nice feeling of closure for Tim. We had a lot of fun and there was even a couple who came in at one point who had just gotten engaged! That was fun and kind of weird: A) They chose to celebrate their engagement at a nearly-empty; and B) The guy was really excited and drunk and kept coming over and talking to us, going up to sing with the guitarist, and so on, and the woman was just sitting there, smiling occasionally. I got home at around 5 and fell asleep as fast as I ever have.

Today I went to the office for a while and chatted with Vale and got the ball rolling on this Noyes descendants-of-WWI soldiers scholarship and wrote some emails and researched things to do in Stgo over the next month. January is really cool, all this open-air theater and music and cinema, all for really cheap (I'm hopefully going to get to see Al Di Meola and John Scofield for about 5 bucks each! That's an errand for tomorrow, to the ticket office). Also read my daily dose of blogs and came across a post on Hullabaloo (link at the right, check out the post called "Moral Hazard"), which has a section about this new stupid book about how every American is a swing voter and you can tell someone's tendencies by certain lifestyle choices. The book has a website which features a questionnaire that allegedly tells you where you fall on the political spectrum. To give you an idea of its accuracy, it put me in the red camp. Smart fellas, those authors. Here's the poll, if you're interested. Anyhow I've barely eaten anything all day and I'm not hungry, but it's bad not to eat and so I'm going to fix myself some dinner and force it down.

No comments: