Wednesday, January 17, 2007

al di meola band

Today was largely uneventful until about 9:15. I woke up earlyish, went to COPA, filled out my portion of the Consortium Agreement, emailed my adviser about what to do about his portion (or if it even IS his portion, and if not, whose is it, blah blah blah), waited around for him to respond, did some Peru and Costa Rica research (hostel reservation for first night in San José, CHECK), and chilled with Vale until about 6:15, when we closed up the office and went over to her apartment, where she cooked up some Spanish rice and beef and a salad and we ate and then left for the lynchpin of the evening: See title of post and time mentioned in first sentence.

We got to the western entrance to the sculpture garden and the line to get in was around the block. Vale and I went up to the ticket counter, where they told her they'd just sold out, and that I was on the wrong side (I had lawn seats, which are split into two groups there by the expensive seats in the middle). So she walked me around to the other side, where we said see you tomorrow and I waltzed on into the jammed lawn. There weren't very many chairs left, but one of the luxuries of being alone is that finding one chair in a sea of people is about eight million times easier than finding two next to each other. So I got pretty close and the magic started just about on time. They opened with a few more recent electronic songs and then he introduced the band and himself and he and his percussionist, whose name I'm forgetting at the moment, did four duets while the rest of the band joined the audience in noisy appreciation. They were unreal together, and so obviously having a blast that the energy infected the whole crowd. It was great. They played a bunch of other stuff afterwards (2 hours in total, including three curtain calls), but the show peaked for me with those acoustic duets. Wow. After the concert ended I walked back to Providencia and found myself with a craving for sushi, which was easily remedied by a trip to Miyoshi. American sushi restaurants should learn from the Santiaguino "everything 50% off after 6 p.m." discount. Anyhow I didn't sleep much last night due to the Coke I drank with dinner (which David brought from Burger King! What!?!?! But lord it was good...), so I'm going to try and fix that right now. Tomorrow I'll likely be back down in the COPA office to finish off this blasted FAFSA crap. Ugh, I hate it. Oh well, life could certainly be worse. 'Night!

No comments: