Tuesday, January 02, 2007

bill simmons can go to hell

One of my favorite weekly readings in Bill Simmons' column The Sports Guy. But this week he got lazy and republished a column from 2001 about how we shouldn't all worship Cal Ripken so much because, after all, he wasn't THAT great of a player and his streak was counterproductive for the Orioles and there was really not much but dumb luck and stubbornness involved and all this other crap. Well, Bill Simmons, I get goosebumps every time I think about exactly two (2) sports events. One is Duke's 22-point comeback over Maryland in the 2001 Final Four. The other is Cal Ripken's lap around Oriole Park in the middle of his 2131st game. So screw you, Bill Simmons, I'll bounce my grandkids on my knee and tell them about getting to see Cal Ripken play because of that memory alone. And just because you're soulless doesn't mean you should try to spoil it for the rest of us.

Lyric of the year to date:

I been thinkin' bout Alicia Keys, couldn't help from cryin'
When she was born in Hell's Kitchen I was livin' down the line
I wonder where in the world Alicia Keys could be
I been lookin' for her even clear through Tennessee
-Bob Dylan, "Thunder on the Mountain"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you get Frank Deford's commentary's about sports over the Internet (NPR on Wednesday mornings)? I bet you'd enjoy them!