Wednesday, August 09, 2006

mixin' it up

The title of this post derives from the fact that I am currently working on a new mix. I've abandoned completely the idea that I'll ever get my music taste down to 80 minutes, so I'm moving on. It's a bit of a relief, to be honest. I'm almost done with this one, there's just one transition that I'm not totally happy with and it's a minute too long. Shit. Anyhow, today was good. I went to class this afternoon (I'm not going to have any class before noon...OH BABY) and then Elan and I went and got some coffee and crepes (well, I did, he was too mad to eat) and he vented to me for a while. It was really interesting because some of the things he said, some of the anger, was really unexpected on my end. He had to move houses this week and he's in the process of applying to lots of medical schools (like 10, and all the best ones, too--UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, NYU, Harvard, etc....smart, hardworking guy, he is) and so he's pretty drained and there was some drama between him and someone else that seems really fucked up, especially considering the circumstances. Anyhow, I'd get more into that but it's very personal and it's not my place to share more. I really like him a lot, he's a very complicated and thoughtful person and I can see us becoming good friends. It's funny, he told me today that on the first day, on the bus, he thought that he'd be friends with everyone on the program except me and that he prayed we wouldn't be roommates in the hotel because I said something brusque to him about gas here being in liters instead of gallons or something...long story. I really don't like my compulsion to correct people, the importance I place on other people knowing what's right and what's not. Arguing I like and don't mind that I'm opinionated, but why can't I just hold my tongue more on things like that? I resolved again after he told me that to stop correcting people...so much.

I came home after that and ate with Luz Maria and David and Francisco. Speaking of Francisco, we went to see Me, You and Everyone We Know at the Santiago International Film Festival (SANFIC) last night, which I liked a lot. Very strange and disjointed and sad, but interesting. Francisco is a psychoanalyst by training, so he had some things to say about it afterwards that I wouldn't have thought of. Anyhow dinner tonight was good and then I watched the Simpsons with David and drank tea (speaking of tea, I cannot describe how amazing it was today to have a good cup of coffee...revelatory...) and now I'm writing this. Soon's I finish, I'm going to pee and then on to Bellavista to curarnos y cantar karaoke with some COPA kids. Okay, I'm finished. 'Night.

1 comment:

Mister Suss said...

nescafe, which is why it was so nice to have the genuine article. i mean, it's not like it's hard to find, but it's definitely a treat.