Wednesday, August 30, 2006

El Misionero

I just read a story for my Chile, los chilenos y su cultura class about a missionary who goes to convert a people called the Ona, and after some initial doubts captivates them with fantastic descriptions of paradise. They become extremely pious, attending church and performing all the rituals he asks of them and then, as a sign of their great thanks for changing their lives and showing them the way to eternal paradise, they deliver him there themselves. The last line is "Y lo mataron." "And they killed him." Interesting story. Still trying to figure out what to think or say about it, which is a crapload easier to do in English (as I'm doing right now) than in Spanish, which I'll have to do as soon as I finish writing this post. And now I'm finished.

No comments: