Sunday, November 20, 2016

thirty

Missing home today more than I have been. Was hoping to speak to the fam but they are not answering their phones, which is bumming me out more than I would have expected and more than it would on a normal night. And, while I had a good time last night and today, celebrating with acquaintances is just not the same thing as celebrating with friends and family.

The festivities last night were fun. First went to HP's house for a barbecue and ate some tasty grilled meat and veggies: he has a tiny little charcoal grill that sits on the ground and somehow he manages to get it really hot and cook the meat just right. Then went to a going-away party for a couple of Scots who have been here for three or four years. It was a big party, and obviously not a birthday party for me. But SRB had bought a delicious cake so once midnight came we broke it out. Come to think of it, I'd like some of that cake right now. Wonder what happened to it. And then lots of people wanted to do shots and so on. And then there was much dancing.

A fairly big group ended the night around 4:30 or 5 AM at the all-night place that TR took me to the first weekend. Tasty, cheap, and, as previously noted, a solid hangover prophylactic. Today I slept in, did a bit of grocery shopping and explored Super Market a bit more extensively. Still only looked around the corner that's closest to me, it's pretty big. Part of my mission was to see if I could find hooks to hang the stuff that came on Friday, and to see if I could find a place that would frame the two things I brought rolled up. Partial success: didn't find either but did find a hardware store that sells nails, which will do in a pinch, and found out that there is an art supply-ish place in G-9. Add it to the list of Things To Do When I Get A Car.

Played ultimate again tonight. Tweaked my right ankle ever so slightly. Not enough to stop playing but enough to remember that it's weaker than the left one and I should just be careful and not stress it more than I have to. Afterward went to dinner at the British Club, where I ate a horrible cheeseburger, much worse than the last time. Good company, and after I mentioned that it was my birthday RL bought me a beer. But god the food was bad. Speaking of which, I'm kind of hungry for something sweet. Going to make a bowl of instant oatmeal, drink a cup of milk, and call it a night.

No comments: