Tuesday, November 21, 2006

today/keith olbermann on msnbc

Today was good, I went to bed early-ish last night and woke up a little after 10, worked a little on my essay for Chile chilenos, ate lunch, went to pronunciation (with my new iPod!), got Grandpa and Marinell's letter (thanks so much, you guys) and after a brief stop at Rosie's apartment I found myself in Starbucks, trying to work some more on the paper. And guess what. I met a girl from Michigan! Jessie R-something. We chatted for a while and she seemed cool, she's on Michigan's own Stgo program (along with three other Wolverines and two kids from Wisconsin) and will be here through next semester, too! Very exciting! Anyhow, the internet cut out there and so my work ground to a halt after I finished reading something my professor had written about the importance of art and culture, which actually pissed me off because of the contempt it showed for "erudition" and its fawning love for the few "great artists" as the greatest products of any society. Well, I am erudite, for a 20-year-old (started to write 19 there...) and the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake is one of my greatest joys in life. So fuck you, Gabriel Matthey Corea, I love erudition. It does not mean that I am afraid of engaging with culture, it just means that I like learning things for the sake of learning them. Back to the play-by-play: I got the girl's number (thinking to call her this weekend to meet up with other Michigan people!) and came home, ate dinner, and now I'm here, about to start working once again on this damn paper. But first, something important.

Part of my routine whenever I come back to my computer is to read various blogs--WWTDD, Hullabaloo, Informed Comment and, more recently, Latin American News review and Crooks and Liars--and today I came across something on C & L, via Hullabaloo, that absolutely staggered me. Thank you, Keith Olbermann, for being more eloquent than I am, and having the balls to say what needs to be said with all the force and rage that your subject merits. He talked yesterday on MSNBC about Bush's visit to Vietnam and the real lessons to be learned there, so different from the "We'll succeed unless we quit" that Bush took as his lesson from Vietnam. Here's the link: Olbermann comment. Click on it, if you've got a few minutes. It's worth your time, I guarantee. And with that, I'm back to work. 'Night.

UPDATE: Apparently the direct link to the video that I put in takes you to the C & L front page instead, so just scroll down a ways, you'll see the headline.

No comments: