Saturday, September 30, 2006

weekend!

Finally, at long last, here I am. This week was really only 2.5 days long, but it feels like months. After my horrible Tuesday came a not-so-bad but still stressful and work-INTENSE Wednesday, during which I wrote two papers and started my third. I worked on that last one (the 6-pager for cinema class) until around 4 a.m. and then gave up for the night, set my alarm for early, woke up and worked on it--with breaks for a shower and food, of course--until 2, when I finally couldn't take it anymore and went to class with something that I could have turned in but wouldn't have been very proud of/wouldn't have gotten a very good grade. I got all the way to class in San Joaquin, only to find the room empty with a note on the door saying that a professor in the department had died and therefore all classes were cancelled for the day. Relief, relief, relief, and as sorry as I am that the department lost someone, my initial reaction was just to giggle. Which I did. Then I went to Rosie's, we got dinner, watched some trashy TV and I came home and slept like the dead.

Until just about noon today (I guess today is technically Saturday, but I'm still in Friday mode), when Rosie called to say, "Hey, are you coming to my doctor's appointment." She had scheduled one for her stomach problems at 1 today and I really wanted to go. After a few moments of confusion I said yes and hauled ass on down to Salvador, met Rosie and went to the clinic with her. We were there for a while, met with a doctor, etc. and then made our way to a park at the end of Line 5 of the metro, which was really quite nice. We sat in the grass and I read (Another Country, by James Baldwin...undecided on how I like it so far...and she wrote in her journal and the sunset was gorgeous. Tonight we went to a new jazz club, Thelonious, which is in Bellavista but a little off the regular path we take there. It was nice, had a good atmosphere, a lot younger crowd than the Club de Jazz. The band was all right, had a couple of really good numbers, it was a little pricey but no more so than the Club de Jazz. I like Club de Jazz more, still, but it was cool to see an alternative. Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll meet up with Mara and/or Laura and get to show them around town a little! Now I'm tired and need to go to bed. 'Night.

No comments: