Friday, September 01, 2006

oye

Okay, today it's time to vent about the Chilean university library system. Which, if it was a person, I would want to kill at the moment. So, here goes, and tell me if this makes sense: In la Chile, where the class I need these particularly evasive readings for takes place, the professor tells the library which pages of which book are necessary for the class. Then, the students go, one by one, and check the copies out to go photocopy themselves. This means that any other student, coming by to pick up the readings, is just fucked if they're checked out. Which they always, always are. I've been to the library at la U 6 times now, and it hasn't been there yet. So today, I looked the book up online at la Católica, and found out that I could go to the Architecture and Urban Studies campus (which, incidentally, is quite nice) and get it from their library. So I went. But you need a special card to get into that library as a foreign student, and you have to go to the Casa Central, which is across the street from COPA but far from where I was, to get that. So I got the solicitation form for the credential and left, empty-handed and furious at the sheer idiocy and clumsiness of the system. My plan was to call Rosie, who was feeling sick, and see if she was well enough to go the Nicanor Parra exhibit at la Moneda with me, but when I called she sounded very upset and so I went to her apartment. Turns out she had just been sleeping when I called, but she was very sick, so I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon, evening and night keeping her company in her misery. I finally left her house around 11, having not eaten for 10 hours, and caught a bus home, which was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. Going to start doing that more often. Ooh! Good news! Because I'm going to be here for a whole year, Isa thinks she can get me a transportation discount card that would cut what I pay for metro and bus by 2/3!!! In not-so-good news, I spend too much money and am running low on funds. I would really have liked to go out tonight, but tonight is the beginning of my increased frugality, so home it is. Stressful. Stressful day, but I am surprisingly calm. Hungry, though. So time to eat dinner, at 1:20 in the morning. 'Night.

No comments: