Thursday, September 07, 2006

sorry i haven't written in a few days...

Well, the past few days have been kind of rough. Rosie and I broke up, for a bunch of reasons, and it's probably for the best that we did but still it sucks at the moment. I don't feel as bad today as I have for the past couple of days, but still, I don't like it and neither does she. The whole process has also made me think really hard about myself, about parts of me that no one else knows about but that resonate very deeply in my personality and the ways I relate to people. Other than that, though, the past few days have been good. I finally got the stupid fucking reading for my Europe/Latin America class, thanks to Nate. And now, it turns out, he's got the second set of readings we have to do. Joy of joys! I've been plugging away at that; it's not hard at all but it's long--somewhere in the 120-page range. A cinch in English, not so much in Spanish. Last night our Chile, los chilenos y su cultura professor invited us out to a famous historical bar called La Piojera, which is, if not the birthplace, then at least the most well-known place to get a "terremoto," ("earthquake"), which consists of cheap red wine and vanilla ice cream. At least, I think it was vanilla, with the wine working its way in there, who knows? I really liked it, despite all my friends who had tried it before hating it, and had two. And almost everyone from the class went (I think Rosie, Brigid from frisbee, a gringa whose name nobody knew when the prof was taking attendance and she'd left class early, and one Chilean kid were the only ones who had been in class but didn't go), so we had some really interesting discussions about the relative importance of racism versus classism in Chile and the US, literature, the degree to which Chilean culture has begun to drift away from traditional Spanish culture and borrow more and more from American culture as it industrializes and commericializes...pretty much all in Spanish. I was sitting next to a girl named Ann, who's from Luxembourg(!) and speakes Luxembourgese, German, French, Spanish and English. Not fair. But she was really interesting and the gringos to my right were really interesting and the prof is really interesting and the Chilean guy, Gonzalo, sitting right to Ann's left was really interesting, too. He gave me some book recommendations, which I will certainly check out ASAP, because I've been looking for a good Spanish book to read and Inés, which Luz María gave me, I found lacking. Anyhow I really hope this post publishes because I've gotta go buy a bus ticket to Buenos Aires and I have no time for "Could not connect to Blogger.com. Saving and publishing may fail." Well, hope everyone who reads this is having a good day. And finally, a shoutout to LINCOLN, who's on his way up to college for the first time! Good luck, Blinkin! Represent with respect! Bye for now.

No comments: