Friday, June 22, 2007

v.s. naipaul knows sensuality

I'm about two thirds done with A Bend in the River. This afternoon I came across a passage that was, well, see the title of this post. The narrator has been taken to a party by an old friend and becomes enamored of the hostess of the party.

"Indar was embraced by Yvette as we left. And I was embraced, as the friend. It was delicious to me, as the climax to that evening, to press that body close, soft at this late hour, and to feel the silk of the blouse and the flesh below the silk.

"There was a moon now - there had been none earlier. It was small and high. The sky was full of heavy clouds, and the moonlight came and went. it was very quiet. We could hear the rapids; they were about a mile way. The rapids in moonlight! I said to Indar, 'Let's go to the river'. And he was willing."

Hoo boy.

No comments: