Wednesday, May 30, 2007

immigration hypocrisy

I think I spelled "hypocrisy" right. Whatever. Anyhow, there's an interesting piece up right now on Upside-Down World comparing the case of a legal Kurdish immigrant who was deported back to Turkey--a very dangerous and oppressive place for Kurds--despite complying completely with immigration laws and regulations, and Luis Posada Carriles, a proudly convicted terrorist who admitted to entering the US illegally but has been allowed to live in the country as long as he likes, with no legal worries at all. The article is here. I realize that such comparisons are not really worth much in any kind of fair or scientific sense, and Upside-Down World is certainly not one to shy away from ignoring aspects of a story in order to make a point (see their impassioned and misguided defense of Chavez shutting down RCTV--the repeated argument that it was okay because RCTV made Fox News "look like a kitten" doesn't really fly). But the point gets made all the same, and well. Our immigration policy is very, very fucked up in a lot of ways, and the recent bill hasn't improved it at all. Para Justicia y Libertad had a good post on this a week ago.

My host sister, Pili, has had a nightmare of a time trying to get a tourist visa to come to the U.S. in July (she'll be leaving right around when I do). Her process appears to be finally ending because Katty got back from her travels and, well, Katty knows everyone and their mother and will get this all ironed out right quick. That's how Katty rolls. But if Pili had been trying to do it on her own? Man, I'm not even sure she would have gotten it, and she's got freckles and is in grad school right now, she's not even a scary illiterate brown person. Ugh. Meantime, Michaela Sachs is in town and we've been texting the past few days trying to figure out a time to meet up. I'm going to give her a call today as soon as I get showered and dressed. Perhaps we'll get lunch? Speaking of showers, I'd better hop in, I'm pretty gross at the moment. Before I do, I feel the need to report that my back has been killing me the past couple of days, kind of constant discomfort punctuated by occasional "Ow shit!" moments. I'm sure it has something to do with yoga, and I'm going to ask Felipe tonight what I'm doing wrong that's causing the pain. Also why my hip flexors hurt when I'm doing inside-of-the-leg positions. Yoga is great, I'm so glad I have it because running is so far out of the question. I see people running every once in a while and think to myself, "Oh dear, that person has lost their mind. Poor lungs." Yes and Cori came over to Vale's last night again with Bessie and Chris and we had a very fun Spanglish time, plus a good salad made by Cori and Chris the expert chefs. Also Cori has no recollection of any Michaela, which kind of confused me. Would either of my parents care to clear up how this is possible? Joshy was in my dream last night, holy crap...

Wow, I'm in full on free-association ramble mode. Cool.

No comments: