Sunday, December 17, 2006

david's party

So the party last night ended up being really fun. I got back from giving Rosie her computer and going to get bus dinner for her and her mom around 9:30, and no one was there yet (the party was supposed to start at 8). David said, "They're musicians" and that pretty much explained it. People did arrive eventually, and it was a little awkward at first for me because they all know each other and they're Chilean, so it was kind of hard to find a way to insert myself into the conversation. But everyone had a couple of drinks and we moved outside and sat in a circle and they started talking about English/North American music, and I thought, "Ha! My chance." And I seized it, with gusto, with a well-timed joke about the fact that Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay, named his daughter Apple and is married to Gwyneth Paltrow, and therefore doesn't deserve anyone's respect. The musicians found this hilarious, and I was in. Good job, Luke. Anyhow the conversation ebbed and flowed and I talked to various people over the next six hours (we didn't eat until 1 a.m. and I finally called it a night around 4:15. The Chileans left at 5, after I'd fallen asleep. I ended up having a really interesting conversation with a guy whose name I'm blanking on at the moment about Chilean culture/identity or lack thereof--this topic seemingly never becomes boring for me; it's as if I'm having it for the first time every time it comes up with a Chilean because they all have different ideas about it and are fascinated by North American and English culture. He invited me to the Chilean soccer club championship this week at the Estadio Nacional (Colo-Colo vs. Audax Italiano) but I'm not sure I'll be able to go because I think it's after Lincoln gets here, and even if it's not, all the COPA kids are leaving on Wednesday and I'm never going to see them again, so I'll probably be hanging out with them. They get back today from Rio, actually. (By "all the COPA kids" I mean "all the ones I care about.") Anyhow, it's breakfast time in the Ilabaca household, and I'm hungry. Bye!

Actually, it might be kind of cool to take Lincoln to that game. If he wants to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please get back in the saddle, Mister Suss! Your fans miss your postings. Happy New Year, by the way. -- Cilalulija