Wednesday, December 07, 2016

flight 661

http://www.dawn.com/news/1301042/pia-flight-pk-661-crashes-enroute-to-islamabad

A plane just crashed coming into Islamabad from Chitral. It was about ten minutes out from the airport, just on the other side of the Margallas. A search-and-rescue team from FOCUS should be there by now. I didn't know any of the passengers personally but some of my colleagues did and have taken this hard. Not least because at least seven of the people on board were en route at our invitation, either for a dinner tonight or for an all-day workshop planned for tomorrow. I am not one to take things personally when they're clearly outside my control but I recognize that it's natural for many people to feel guilt when something like this happens. Can't even imagine how they're feeling. No matter which way you look at it, it's awful. Heart's out to the families of the 47 passengers and crew.

It remains to be seen whether poor visibility was the cause of the crash but for what it's worth I couldn't see the hills outside my window today at all. Not even the faintest outline. This is the worst haze people have seen here in at least four years. Makes me glad for the helicopter pilots' extreme cautiousness.

Damn.

No comments: