Saturday, December 31, 2016

airport security

Amd just like that, Phuket blew it. Airport security, starting with the World's Most Vigilant X-ray Monitor, decided that I should not be allowed to carry on my nail scissors. Fuck them. I had already gone through immigration (and an earlier x-ray machine) so no way to go out and check it. Have to wait for the airline staff to get to the gate and have them check it.

In the worst kind of foreign-tourist way, I'm also sick of how bad everyone's English is here. Their mispronunciation of the words they do know are often very difficult or impossible to understand. For example, I was told by three different people that I have to wait for "satap ailine." What the fuck is satap? I ask and they are unable to come up with a different word, describe what it is, or anything. My best guess now is that they mean "staff." Waiters and taxi drivers also don't understand enough English to understand orders. For example I just ordered a sausage egg and cheese sandwich on a baguette from a shitty cafe in the airport. What I got was a bacon and cheese sandwich on a bagel, which was on the menu but not even that close to what I wanted. The guy at my hostel in Kata and I took like 15 minutes to have the following conversation:

Me: can I get a taxi to the ferry tomorrow morning? Should I call one now?
Him: yes, and let me call one for you.

Pakistan works much, much better than this place despite being poorer and not having goddamn electricity.

These are small complaints in the scheme of things and really I'm just whining. Bah.

Now I'm listening to A Love Supreme in my seat on the plane and breathing deeply. Everything is awesome. 

No comments: