Friday, April 11, 2014

t-minus the weekend

The admin ladies don't like my beard. A couple of days ago I walked out of the elevator into the AKDN lobby and the CEO's assistant (V) was chatting with the women who sit at the front desk. V pointed at one of them and said, "She doesn't like your beard," and they all giggled. Being reminded that, much as you talk about other people when they're not there, other people talk about you when you're not there, is an odd mixture of embarrassing and thrilling.

This afternoon I had a long chat with my colleague BS about HR among the teams out here. Some serious gaps in gender sensitivity and general management capacity, along with the traditional (for us) deficits in donor relations. These latter are caused by the feeling that we are extraordinarily special and donors should be pleased that we deign to take their money. Won't get into too much detail but it was good to talk about, not least because I think we can help them with some of it. I think she found it a bit of a relief to just unload, which is rarely a bad thing.

Now I enter the long weekend of boredom in the hotel. It's supposed to rain all weekend, which doesn't help. Otherwise I might have tried to line up a day trip out to somewhere or other. I do have some work to do and will see about eating at least a couple of meals with other people, but for the most part I'm going to be counting down the hours until 3:45 AM on Monday, when a car will take me to the airport.

No comments: