Thursday, June 13, 2013

marhaba

Chilling in Dubai in the business class lounge, which I'm entitled to because my layover is long and includes part of a normal sleeping time -- the flight to Kabul is at 3:30 AM. That means I can get reimbursed for a hotel, but my two readers may recall that the DXB airport hotel is offensively expensive and I don't really feel like leaving the airport. On the way back the layover is almost 24 hours, so I probably will leave the airport and get an actual hotel room.

Sitting next to me is a group of sub-Saharan African dudes who are many Heinekens in (free beer and wine in here). Not sure what they're talking about but they're definitely tipsy. Plus they're playing some cool music through someone's iPhone. Sounds like high life so...Ghanaian? I don't know.

On the flight over I watched Chile's annual good movie from last year, which is called "No." It's about the advertising campaign that helped shift the tide against Pinochet during the run-up to the plebescite that ended the dictatorship in 1988. Really an excellent movie, I thought. Also I re-watched "Michael Clayton" for the fourth time. I pushed play kind of reluctantly because four times is a lot to see a movie, but man I loved every minute of it. So good.

Not much else to report. Have started to do some work and will keep that up for a while. Need to rewrite the intro for a concept note that I wrote and then was rewritten by someone else. Evidently my version was better. And I'll read some. Brought the book that Mom gave me about a guy hiking across Afghanistan and also picked up Michael Lewis's Liars' Poker in IAD. Needed something else easy for the trip and everything stacked at home is intense. I wasn't about to bring Through the Eye of a Needle, which, though I'm enjoying it, weighs about 7 pounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Through the Eye of a Needle was Garry Wills' favorite book to read last year.