Saturday, June 29, 2013

fast and furious

I thought that my layover in Dubai was 20 hours but really it's 17, and with transport time and needing to be at the airport two hours early it's really more like 13. So I got to my hotel around 8:15, having made the booking last night based on a search for "hotel dubai 24 hour check-in." The hotel did not have my reservation on file when I arrived. Half an hour later they'd found it, god knows how, but there was no room ready. Also, check-in at this hotel is at 2 PM, so the lady wanted to charge me an extra AED100 (like $30) to go up to my room early. I bitched and she dropped it without saying anything.

It's all good, though, the place is fine: Room comfortable and cool, nice view of lots and lots of cement, big flat screen TV on which I watched "Tintin" the animated movie for about 20 minutes before falling asleep for two hours, bringing my total last night to four and a half or so. I was debating whether to do something adventuresome today like go dune buggying in the desert, but it's expensive and the timing didn't look good. Then I thought about going to see the souks -- the old (although I'm sure much-gussied up for tourists now) markets of Dubai where they sell gold and spices and fabric and stuff. Then I thought, screw that, I'll go to the mall, have lunch, wander around, buy a an iPod charger cable (somehow lost the old one in Dushanbe) and a new book (The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, can't wait to crack it on the plane), and go see "The Fast and the Furious 6." The movie was great, totally worth the price of admission if you're in the mood for bad acting and awesome action movie writing -- verbatim example at the end of the post. There's a big chase scene involving the fastest and most nimble tank ever created by mankind and you think, How are they going to top that? But they do.

Now I'm back in the hotel with about an hour and a half to kill before I have to head to the airport. I'm trying to import pics from my iPhone but something is wrong. If I lose these pics I will be crushed. I think I'll go to the gym and get the juices flowing a little before the long haul back to DC. Almost home.

From "The Fast and the Furious 6":



The crew are trying to catch a bad guy on a mountainous road. The bad guy surprises them by driving not a large military truck but a very fast tank. The crew are freaking out.

TYRESE (driving his car): Guys, we need a plan B!
LUDACRIS (standing on a bridge over the road): Plan B? We need a plan C, D, E, F!
PAUL WALKER (driving his car while making eye contact with Vin Diesel, who is driving his car alongside): No, we do what we do best: improvise.

Then there is a whole shitload of crashing and eventually they harpoon one of the wrecked cars (Tyrese's) to the tank and push it over the edge of a long bridge as an anchor on the tank, which flips over and grinds to a halt. They've caught the bad guy.

TYRESE (who has ended up in Paul Walker's car after his was crushed by the tank and he jumped onto Paul Walker's car's roof and climbed in through the window): Haha, woo!

No comments: