Monday, April 23, 2007

i started tutoring

Not for money...of course...that would be illegal...Anyhow I went up to La Dehesa on Saturday morning to give my first lesson to Ricardo and Daniela. It went pretty well, although I didn't really know what to expect in terms of their material or what they need to work on. This weekend I will be much better prepared. I ate lunch there and then spent the rest of Saturday, through to Sunday morning, at the Diazes, hanging out with RocĂ­o and Juanita and Wence and Paloma. We watched "Mississippi Burning," which was pretty good but left me with a very different feeling than I think it was trying to give. The way the story is told, the end is supposed to feel like a victory for Willem Dafoe and Gene Hackman and the forces of light, but I couldn't help but feel the smallness and futility of their efforts in the grander scheme of things.

There was a small earthquake here on Sunday morning around 6:30, but it didn't even wake me up. Apparently, however, I am a freak about earthquakes, because I never feel them and everyone always shakes their heads at my insensitivity. Scott, a guy who had played frisbee with us for months while he was working at NESsT, had a goodbye brunch at Starbucks on Sunday. It was good to see him again, he'd been traveling for a while. It foreshadowed a little my own leaving. His girlfriend, Sarah, who also plays frisbee, told us that night that it was really hard for him and that he cried in the airpot. On that note, frisbee on Sunday was fantastic. It's been really chilly the past couple of days, which made for perfect frisbee weather up at Nido de Aguilas. I played really well, for once, although my team lost for the second week in a row due in large part to the overconfidence of a couple of new people. A friend of Rene-the-ridiculously-good-Venezuelan played and definitely got it into his head that he was capable of long-distance endzone puts, which was frustrating for Rene and Franco and me, who can actually throw. But hey, it's pickup, we barely keep score, and it was still really fun. Tortilla Factory afterwards was delicious as usual and then Sarah came from the airport and her, Felipe, Carlos and I went out for a beer and played 20 questions to keep her spirits up. I got home around 10:45, showered, ate a bit of dinner and came over to Vale's. She had gotten back a couple of hours earlier from the COPA La Serena trip, which she had been dreading but ended up enjoying. I guess that's how those things usually work out.

Today was uneventful, except that I'm a jackass and didn't get to yoga because I took a nap and set my alarm for 16:45 instead of 18:45, intending, obviously, to get up at 6:45. So I woke up at 8:35 on my own instead of 6:45. Real smart, Luke. And now I'm going to do some reading and go to sleep. Good times. Good night.

No comments: