Tuesday, March 24, 2020

suddenly worrying about work

I have been lucky to be in pretty much constant employment since I was 16, and to have had a steady and steadily increasing paycheck every two weeks from age 21 to 32. That, despite graduating from college as the global financial crisis was peaking in 2008. I gave up that stability last summer so that I could become a full-time student. But I was sanguine about the prospects of getting a job as soon as I finished. Suddenly, the economy looks headed for an even worse hit than the bankers caused 12 years ago. And suddenly, for the first time in my adult life, I'm worried about getting a job.

I've started to enter my CV into various companies' talent pools, both for consultancies and for staff positions that may open up. And I'm going to start emailing former colleagues soon to let them know that I'll be looking for consultancies from as early as June or even late May. Or maybe earlier if it's a part-time thing. Arrogantly Cockily, I had been expecting to be able to be selective in what I applied for, even to avoid applying for straight-up business development jobs. Looks like a wider net will be necessary.

(EDIT: Trying not to be so hard on myself.)

No comments: