Friday, March 13, 2020

how to survive a plague

Current circumstances bring that title to mind, if not the content of the movie. Good documentary, very illuminating for me as a person who was generally aware of the early history of the AIDS crisis but didn't have a real appreciation for the intensity of it.

It's a bit odd to be in the UK at this point in the covid-19 pandemic when other countries in Europe are declaring states of emergency and schools are closing for weeks. The government here is urging much less stringent measures than in other countries, declining to close schools or issuing any social distancing recommendations beyond "stay inside for seven days if you have a severe cough or fever." People should always do that, in fact it drives me nuts when they don't. The tube has been a little less crowded than usual but not too much. We did have class remotely this morning, as a Zoom meeting, which worked better than I thought it would. And UCL, along with many other universities, decided to have all classes be remote for the rest of the term (only one more week in my case).

But SRB and I are still planning to head to Dover this evening for a long-planned weekend getaway. We are both feeling fine; I'm a little congested at the moment but doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary for the wintertime: not even sniffling. Just more attuned to it than usual. Still, I packed my thermometer.

I'm looking forward to seeing the white cliffs of Dover and eating at a restaurant up the coast from where we're staying, which a reviewer in the Guardian called "heroically wondrous." And to getting a change of scenery with SRB. It's been a tough few weeks and even months for us. We had some intense conversations last weekend that seem to have helped. And having a break from our routine, our shared space, our everyday food and furniture and views, should be nice.

In unrelated news, I have some kind of bizarre plantar fasciitis that's entirely in the arch of my foot, not at all in the ball or heel. It's fine -- no pain or even discomfort -- 90% of the time but on some runs starts to bug me a little in the first couple of kilometers and on other runs bugs me for a little while afterward. I tried to ignore it for a while because it's never severe enough to hobble me and it's usually not there at all. But it's also not going away, so finally had to concede that the only solution is to rest and to stretch feet and calves. Vexing.

No comments: