Wednesday, January 15, 2020

academic publishing

Partway through the first week of term 2, and I've just returned the final library book I'd checked out for the papers I wrote for term 1. It's Hybrid Media Activism, by a scholar at the University of Cardiff named Emiliano Trere. I found it very helpful, in fact I built one of my papers around his understanding of the ways in which social movements use and are shaped by communication practices. His analysis is rich and insightful and the cases he presents -- not all of which I had time read -- are very interesting. It's the kind of book I'd just like to have on my shelf at home. But it's published by Routledge, so it costs 120 pounds, or $90 if I were buying it in the US. Riddle me that. Academic publishing is a scam.

Term 2 is looking promising. On Tuesday we started the "citizenship" part of my two-term class called Social Policy and Citizenship. Term 1 looked at different models of social and economic policy, planning, and development. This term will be spent using ideas of citizenship as a way to understand who has access to rights and entitlements in different places, especially now in the context of globalization. This morning was the first session of my one new class, NGOs and Social Transformation. Based on the readings and the first lecture and activity, seems that it will be everything I hoped and dreamed.

It's just after 5 PM now. In a few minutes I'll head into a workshop about some research on nationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals, hosted by the NGOST professor. He strongly encouraged us to come. I haven't attended as many of these extracurricular events as I should, so figured this would be a good one to start with. Doubt I will learn anything revelatory -- contextualizing SDGs is something I did professionally. But there's a networking drinks afterward, so maybe I'll get some interesting conversation out of it. SDR may join, as well, once she gets off work.

Unrelated update: I started lifting weights again on Monday. Easing back into it: I'm so sore today that I couldn't even finish warming up on squats and had to cut things short. But I've done nothing but run for more than two years and figured it'd be good to mix things up and give my body a different stimulus for a while. Planning to give it six weeks, see how much strength I can recover (I'm VERY weak compared to where I was a few years ago), and then shift my focus back to running. 

No comments: