Thursday, January 09, 2020

a little royal curiosity

So big news in the UK today is that Prince Harry and Princess Meghan have decided to "step back from senior royal duties" and "work toward becoming financially independent." Generally speaking, I am indifferent to the royal family. They are an unfairly rich anachronism and a source of pride and an important symbol for many people here. Whatever. But I noticed a funny tendency on Twitter today: the men I follow who tweeted about the move shared the same sentiment, which I'll sum up as, "LOL as if royalty could ever even know what it means to be financially independent, this is dumb, who gives a shit." And the women I follow who tweeted about it shared the same sentiment, which I'll sum up as, "Yasss kween! This act of boundary setting is profoundly erotic to me!" 

As the day went on the reactions started to mix a little. But for a while there was a super stark gender divide. Kind of interesting.

No comments: