Thursday, January 05, 2017

nam part 2

The slight star-crossedness of this trip continues apace. Yesterday morning I woke up, stepped into Alex's bathroom, stumbled on the lip of the door, put my foot down on the soaking wet floor, felt it slide out from underneath me, went down, and caught the last three fingers of my right hand between the door and the floor. Plus side: didn't hit my head. Minus side: ripped out a nice chunk of the cuticle on my right ring finger. It was painful enough at the time to make me nauseous and lightheaded. Alex broke out the neosporin and bandaids and ibuprofen like a champ. It still hurts dully now; light pressure and gripping is possible. Heavy gripping and pressure on the end of my finger not possible. So I wasn't able to participate in Alex's Brazilian jiu jitsu class last night, a disappointment. Have been wanting to try combat sports. Something to do back in Islamabad, there's a gym there that's apparently pretty good. Once my finger heals a bit. Think I'm gonna lose the nail.

Otherwise Vietnam has been great. Alex is in a good place, getting ready to move to Colorado and get married to a woman he loves. It's cool to spend so much one on one time with him, he's a real adult in a way that shouldn't be surprising but is because he's still Alex, still my younger brother's best friend. He's been in Asia for almost six years. Hard to believe.

I haven't been an ambitious tourist here but that's okay. Went to the main covered market yesterday, ate some good Vietnamese food, today going to the War Remnants Museum. First, lunch. Meeting Alex and coworkers at a place called Eden.