Wednesday, January 18, 2017

book club

Yesterday I noticed that a friend was interested on fb in a meeting of the Islamabad Book Club, hosted by an organization I'd heard of called the Desi Writers' Lounge. That meeting was tonight, and the book they read was The Remains of the Day, which I read about a year and a half ago and loved. So I thought, I must go.

Good choice. We were eight young people, all around 30. Very lovely discussion moderated unobtrusively by a guy who's with DWL. The conversation was all over the place, and it's fascinating to see where people's minds go. Also, what people from this part of the world have learned about the World Wars, or the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, or the transatlantic slave trade. And how they reflect on class and the fact that servants are still prevalent in their culture. Also it's just a beautiful book and I was glad to reflect on it with other people. Also getting to know new people is just a pleasure.

Now RF is coming over for a glass of whiskey and a New Year's catch up. Can't wait to hear about Cape Town. 

No comments: