Monday, May 17, 2010

So I told Yousef last night about my cheeseburger yearning, and this morning he apparently told the admin guys here to order me one for lunch. I didn't ask for him to do that, and honestly I'd rather wait until I get home to have one. And I DEFINITELY do not want to be the only person having food brought from outside. But Aziz (one of the admin guys) came up and asked whether he should order just one or if anyone else would be eating one and I tried to tell him that I didn't want one, and that I didn't even ask for one for myself, let alone did I know whether anyone else wanted one. This feels too special or something and I hate that shit. But Aziz's English isn't great and Yousef is at prayers, so I ended up just saying, "Fuck it," (to myself) and saying, "Yes, sure go ahead and order one," (to Aziz). I'm sure Yousef thought he was doing me a nice favor and the thought counts for a lot in this context. If everyone were ordering cheeseburgers this wouldn't be a problem. Now I'm just whining and I should be happy that I'll be getting to eat something other than the Afghan staples.

UPDATE: I'm relieved to report that the burger was truly awful and barely deserved to call itself a burger. And there was no cheese. Thank god.

No comments: