Tuesday, August 14, 2007

holy crap dream

Kellyanne, Robin H, Josh Scannell and I had decided, on our last day of high school, that we were sick of a particular class and instead of having it we'd bring some guns and hold up the teacher so we could just goof off instead. This we did; my gun even had a silencer. It was kind of fun, in the dream, but also strange, the teacher (it may have been my 8th-grade English teacher Mrs. Kajder) was so quiet and clearly confused and scared. Anyhow as I was leaving the room at the end of the period arms reached out and grabbed me from behind: a cop. I no longer had my gun so, perfectly aware of my guilt, I started playing innocent, acting like I didn't know what was going on. The officer didn't say anything, just marched me to an empty hallway, where Robin and Kellyanne already were, in long flowy dresses. Josh had apparently gotten away. I lay down on a bench (Robin and Kellyanne were dancing) and was depressed and kind of disbelief that I had done something so stupid. It was scary, I was sure that I'd go to jail and never get to college or amount to anything.

After a while waiting on that bench, someone came and brought the three of us to an auditorium, where a collection of police officers in plain clothes were getting ready to talk about how to solve our case. Lincoln was also there, and motioned to me to sit next to him. But he was in a three-seat section of the room, and the seat next to him was taken and in front of the other one stood a woman talking to the people in the row ahead. I went and squeezed into that other one and there was some awkwardness about how she was supposed to sit, but she ended up going elsewhere. The lights dimmed and a cartoon was put on, a Looney Toon, that I had seen before, about what to do with bad children, punish or give a second chance? On the way home with Mom and Dad (Lincoln had to stay at school) I was very upset, especially because Mom and Dad were saying that now I'd never get into the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins because Aunt Katie had just gotten in and now, with this whole gun thing, I could never measure up to her as an applicant.

I was at home alone with Jack, waiting for news about the investigation. We had a chair, one of our real-life kitchen chairs, fitted with a rocket pack. I decided to try it out and started flying little sorties around our neighborhood and back. I looked longingly at maps with Jack, talking about where would be the best place to go in the chair to get away from all the mess I'd started. Eventually I decided to take a slightly longer trip and began flying away towards DC. The flying, by the way, was really fun. I got pretty far, but realized at some point that I was going to run out of fuel, so I tried to race back home. No such luck, and I touched down, totally empty, next to Farragut West metro (although the setting actually looked more like Gallery Place did ten years ago). Having just flown away from home, I had nothing in my pockets, no way to get the rest of the way home, and no way to call. The streets were pretty empty and I didn't want to ask anyone for change. Finally I decided to suck it up and find some quarters to call home with. When Mom picked up and I explained the situation, she laughed and said of course she'd come pick me up. That's all I remember.

I didn't make a single iota of that up. Holy crap.

No comments: