Thursday, April 12, 2018

dreaming about jack

Last night I had a dream about Jack. Warning: it was not a nice dream. Certain readers may want to avoid or pick a judicious time to read it.

M, D, Linc, and I were in the basement of our next door neighbors' house, and we knew that Jack was in the neighborhood and on a killing spree. We could hear distant gunshots. That basement has a lot of windows so we knew we weren't safe and had to run but we were hemming and hawing about picking the right time to do it. Eventually we all fled and I ended up in a smaller basement room in a nearby house (not one from real life). This one had smoked windows and an old door with a couple of deadbolts.

We could hear Jack getting closer, looking for us. After a few minutes he was outside the door and tried to open it. He shouted, "I know you're in there! Let me in!" and started trying to break down the door. We watched the deadbolts shake against the impacts. I decided that I would try to ambush him if he got through the door, so I positioned myself to the side of it.

When he did break through the whole door came with him and he ended up on the ground. I was on him right away, with my arm around his throat from behind. He flailed around and dropped his gun and I got him on the ground. I tried to bang his head on the ground but resisted and somehow he twisted around so we were facing each other with him on his back and me kneeling over him with my hands on his throat. He was a smaller, younger version of himself -- maybe mid-teens -- although in the dream I didn't notice that. He was struggling, red-faced and crying as I tried to keep enough pressure on his throat to make him pass out.

"Why are you doing this?" he choked out, and I said, through my own tears, "You know why."

At last he passed out, and I woke up.

2 comments:

C. Allen said...

We all have so many feelings to sort through and unravel, and I know nightmares are often a part of grieving, sadly. I wish I'd been nearby when you woke up today.

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke, for me, if this were my dream, it might reflect my own struggles with the angry and unhappy "Jack" part of myself. I am trying to get this murderous and angry part of myself under control, and I feel very confused as to why I am having such a struggle. So much of this dream happens in a basement, which for me, is my unconscious. All this turmoil seems to be going on at a very deep level. The fact that in my dream, Jack is much younger, to me, might be an indication that my younger self's emotions are coming forth in this struggle. I also might think that there could be, for me, a sense of wanting to protect me, my family, Jack, etc. If only I can disarm him and render him powerless, all of my family (including him) could feel safer. This is my projection. The ultimate authority of a dream is always, always the dreamer, so if it resonates with you, fine, if not, that's fine also. I am always, always, always ready to read, hear, discuss, involve myself with a dream!!! Denise Conner