Tuesday, March 07, 2017

goodreads

I made an account on GoodReads years ago but never really used. SRB convinced me to start again. It is a much more efficient way than Blogger to track books read and books to read, and to write down thoughts. I will maintain the 2017 list on here out of inertia but any thoughts and stuff are going over there.

Sundries:

  1. I'm now on the two-day break between courses of giardia drugs, so planning to have friends over tonight for white Russians in celebration of the 19th anniversary of the release of The Big Lebowski. It's a very long movie so the festivities will probably not involve a viewing. But the spirit of the Dude will live in us. Now I want to go bowling. No apparent lingering effects of the giardia and had no drug hangover this morning. Inshallah the next course of antibiotics will also not hurt too badly.
  2. One of my team members resigned after getting a job on a UN project. He seems kind of ambivalent about it. I recognize the loss but actually that vacancy solves a minor HR issue for me and opens up some possibilities in terms of reshaping the team so that it better fits our mandate. Having two senior-level monitoring and evaluation guys doesn't really make sense.
  3. SRB and I had something of a fight, or rather we mutually offended each other unintentionally. My offense worse than hers, in part because I could have headed off the thing that she did easily and quickly but did not, and so let her keep doing it until she put something on FB about it. Then I overreacted. Dumb. However, I bring it up because instead of avoiding it or brushing it off, I apologized completely to her last night and then listened to her explain why her feelings were hurt, which was for the reasons I expected. This is again to draw a contrast with my relationship with CZ, in which we never even really argued and it would have been healthier had we had done so more. Vulnerability is good and, to state the obvious, honesty is good.
  4. Have you called or written to your senators and representative today? Today's topic: the ACA.

No comments: