Friday, November 15, 2013

meetings, meetings, and more meetings

Yesterday, I had seven meetings. Today I had two but they were the most important of the whole trip. Today's were the most stressful of the whole trip, though, so it feels like I had another seven. That doesn't even count the pre-meetings and post-meetings I had with Liz and Amin. The last was the biggest of all, with USAID. Liz described it well afterward: The feeling was like watching an episode of "Homeland," where by the end you feel guilty and anxious even though you've just been sitting on your couch. The meeting was very productive but there was a lot of mixed news and, even though it's not even close to my fault and even though I represented well if I may say so myself, afterward I was filled with anxiety about how to share things with the higher-ups. It's going to take a little while to digest all the information we got and see how it all fits together.

Also, last night I was up very late working on the work plan for one of my projects, so I didn't get enough sleep. On the plus side, it's been really nice hanging out with the group of colleagues who are here right now. We went out to the awesomely-named Public Pub the night before last and had some weird chicken sandwiches and the first cheese-stick based veggie burger I've ever come across. We also did a fun game where everyone bought the drinks of the person to their right. I was hacking up a storm so my left-hand neighbor bought me mulled wine with honey. Very sweet (both senses)(corny). There was a bunch of shouting and explosions at one point but it turned out the military is just drilling for its parade during tomorrow's inauguration.

Last night we just had dinner here in the Serena, but it was a good time. Lots of laughter. I forewent the wine in order to be able to focus on work when I got back to my room.

In short, an exhausting end to the trip. Or maybe just a brain-frying end. I don't feel that tired but I think I'm probably operating a little slower than usual right now. A few more meetings over the next couple of days but I'll also get some time to go shopping and see the Ismaili Center, which is apparently an architectural marvel. Then Istanbul (!) and then home (!). Can't wait.

No comments: