Monday, May 06, 2013

north

Three things to report:

First, somebody screwed up and I didn't get clearance to visit the US Embassy today. It's absurd to me that a US citizen should need advance clearance for a meeting at a US embassy,  but such is life. Send me through the metal detector, search my bag, whatever. But bar me from coming at all? Silly.

Second, our trip up north was delayed by weather. There was a thunderstorm or something up there today so the helicopter can't leave for Islamabad until tonight or very early tomorrow. We got our clearances for Wednesday, apparently, so hopefully we'll get at least a day and night up in Gilgit. Hopes high, expectations low.

Three: Natalie and I went over to Danny and Andrea's last night and then out to dinner at a Pakistani place. Their house is comically big for two people, on a sizable property in a fancy neighborhood about 10 minutes from the Serena. But that's where their employer set them up and they're making the best of it, starting a garden with everything up to avocado and lemon trees. It was nice to hang out with them again.

Now I'm waiting for MJ and Natalie to get back from the embassy so we can figure out what to do with the rest of the day. The meeting arranged for later seems oddly redundant to one we had the day before yesterday. Not sure what's up with that. Evidently we're all going to dinner up in the hills tonight. I'd prefer to have a night to myself but I probably won't even try to get out of it. MJ would be mad and it'll be fine; at the very least Natalie will be there.

No comments: