Wednesday, May 08, 2013

helicopter ride

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I RODE IN A HELICOPTER THUPATHUPATHUPATHUPA MMMEEEEEEEERRRRRR MMMMMEEEEEEEEEERRRRR THUPATHUPATHUPATHUPA.

I felt like a little kid as the blades turned on and we started to coast off the pad at ISB. Big silly grin on my face. Flying up and over the Margalla hills, up through this valley and that, with a quick pit stop in Gilgit before continuing on to a village up above 6,000 feet, to visit a local support organization that AKRSP helped get off the ground eight years ago. What an amazing experience. Now we are back in Gilgit, at the Serena here, with dinner in ten minutes or so. I'm drinking my first-ever glass of fresh cherry juice.

This is the part of the trip that makes it all worthwhile, and that reminds me that what I do isn't a complete waste, that it's arrogant and small-minded to even have such thoughts. It's difficult to be cynical, difficult to feel anything but privileged to be a visitor and guest up here. And now the muezzin is singing. It's beautiful up here. Finally got some worthwhile photos. We are forbidden to take any from the helicopter but I snuck one in and and will try to get a few more tomorrow. My god, on the way out of this village we were flying not 40 feet above the tops of the poplar trees.

More later, I guess.

No comments: