Friday, February 08, 2008

i'm goin to disney world! i mean, cincinnati

This weekend is Arctic Vogue, in Cincinnati. The weather forecast is terrible. Saturday: high 45 with rain and snow in the morning tapering off into partly cloudy by the afternoon and winds 15-25 mph. Sunday: high 25 and partly cloudy with lots of wind. That could hardly be worse. Wind=sloppy play. Precipitation=sloppy fields. Below freezing temperatures+sloppy fields=pothole-filled, frozen fields. We're leaving around 4:30 this afternoon and coming back on Sunday probably early-evening-ish. We're also the second seed this weekend, which is a lot of pressure. The goal at any tournament is to break seed, so basically we have to win in order to call it a successful weekend. We can beat all of the teams that are coming; the only one we've ever gotten rolled by who's gonna be there is Bowling Green alumni. But we're a way better team now than we were then.

In other, also-sports-related news, I spent a little while yesterday looking through the Navy SEALs training book in Borders, where I was to spend the $50 gift card I got from being in some experiment or other. (More about the books I bought sometime later; one of them, A Small Place, by Jamaica Kincaid, I already finished and it was awesome. The other was Development as Freedom, by Amartya Sen.) Anyhow, it got me inspired for this summer. Working out as consistently as I have been feels great, but still feels a little unstructured, like I could be getting more out of it with a concrete plan. So I'm going to keep on doing the team thing for the rest of this semester, and then this summer set myself up with a week-by-week, month-by-month workout plan. I can't wait. Right now, though, it's time to enter some data on German MPs. Yay! Wish us luck this weekend. And a break in the weather.

No comments: