Wednesday, December 19, 2018

baccara, or, who the hell is that?

Down some infernal internet rabbit hole this afternoon, I ended up on the Wikipedia page listing the best-selling songs of all time. Three of the rarified top group, which have sold more than 15 million copies, are Christmas songs. Bing Crosby's got two: "White Christmas" and "Silent Night." Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You" is eleventh, with 16 million copies sold. The others in that group are all instantly recognizable. "Candle in the Wind," that sort of thing. But I did a double take on number nine: "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie," by Baccara. Didn't ring a bell. So I looked it up on YouTube thinking it would be something I knew but not by name.

Two things:

  1. It is a terrible song. 
  2. I'd never heard it before. 
What? How is it possible that I had never in my life heard even a snatch of the ninth-best-selling single ever? The other songs on the list are, again, ubiquitous. Part of the fabric of existence, as impossible to avoid as the golden arches. "My Heart Will Go On" plays in muzak form in the lobby of my office building every single day. But I made it to 32 without ever hearing "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie." 

No comments: