Saturday, January 12, 2013

spectral kbl

We landed in Kabul around 7 PM, four hours later than scheduled because the plane didn't leave Kabul on time for Dubai. Never having landed in Kabul at night before, I was unprepared for how its ramshackle shabbiness would be transformed at night into something gloomier. The runways aren't lit at night, in fact, not much of anything is lit. Empty planes are scattered haphazardly like abandoned houses, the warehouses and shipping containers look like ruins.

The trip was uneventful other than the longer-than-expected layover in DXB. I had a middle seat in the rearmost row -- the damn travel agent -- but it wasn't so bad. Emirates is pretty generous with leg room and elbow room and at least I only had one person to disturb to get to the aisle. I've decided that the worst seat on the plane for a long-haul flight is any one with two seats between you and the aisle.

I'm safely ensconced at the hotel now. My companions have gone off to bed. I went down to the gym for 15 minutes, just to break a light sweat and stretch some. I'm not hungry but I might order something small from room service anyway, then pop a couple of Benadryl and call it a night. More tomorrow.

No comments: